Search Home Video
Prices and Policies
SCETV.org Web site
"Carolina Stories: The Baruchs of Hobcaw"
Carolina Stories: The Baruchs of Hobcaw
In 1718, 17,500 acres of pristine land in Georgetown County became a colonial land grant, or barony, from the King of England to one of the Lords Proprietors. The Native Americans called it "hobcaw," meaning between the waters. Purchased by Bernard Baruch in 1905, Hobcaw Barony eventually passed into the hands of Baruchís daughter, Belle, who created a foundation to protect it from development. This special tells the story of the Baruchs and Hobcaw Barony, which is today home to USCís Baruch Marine field Laboratory and Clemsonís Belle W. Baruch Institute of Coastal Ecology and Forest Science.